Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Cutting down makeup, my story


I was wearing makeup every single day! From the morning till the evening. I have taken some afternoon naps with my makeup on that I’m not proud of. Today I decided to share my experience on stopping wearing it daily and the changes that I’ve seen on my skin.

I have been wearing makeup daily since October 2012 to sometime last year (2016). I can’t remember exactly the month that I did it to be honest but I can remember the time I started because it was life changing. You see I love makeup, I always did. I remember my younger self locking in my aunts’ houses using my cousins’ makeup without their permission. I think they still don’t know that I used to do that. My mom didn’t own any makeup and she still doesn’t. She wouldn’t allow me to wear makeup when I was in high school and she still gives me that weird look before my makeup look is done. So when I finished high school, I moved to a different city, away from my parent’s house and the first thought that was in my mind was that I should buy some makeup and wear it every day and do this for the rest of my life. I remember I went to The Body Shop, I chose this especially because it was the only brand I knew that was cruelty free and I could easily find in Greece. There were more cruelty free brands that I could find as I realized later but that was the one I knew.

I still remember my excitement. I got only a foundation because I used to own a pressed powder, a mascara, a black pencil and a blusher without my mom knowing about that. If I would wear makeup I had to make sure my mom wouldn’t see me so I was usually doing that when she wasn’t home and I would always carry in my bag wet wipes to remove my makeup in a dark alley close to home. I remember I was rubbing my eyes so hard for that pencil and mascara to be removed I can’t forget that my eyes were literally begging me to stop watering like crazy. Dark days.... You can say that when I realized I could do my makeup without anyone saying no I was like yaaaaaas!!!!! I still remember the first months I was dancing when I was doing my makeup. It was like 7.00 am and trust me I’m not a morning person at all but I would wake up 2 hours before class to do my makeup dancing. It is weird recalling those moments because I really never was a morning person, like never ever.

My makeup look back then was foundation, powder and mascara. That’s bad I know that’s not a nice makeup look I was probably looking like a dead woman walking but my concern was coverage. I didn’t have acne back then but coverage was always my main issue. I want a foundation and I want it to be full of pigments, I don’t want to see my skin when I wear makeup,no! I have insecurities k? I’m familiar with that. Anyway, I used to rock that look daily and sometimes I would get back home without removing my makeup taking a nap or even worse I would remove my makeup, take a nap and then I would do my makeup again without wearing any moisturizer or primer ‘cuz I was like I wore it this morning there’s still some on my skin. Guys, that’s bad. I remember popping some pimples here and there and they were orange! I kid you not I was shocked when I saw it which is a good thing I guess because I stopped doing it since then I always wear moisturizer and everything.

After almost a year of wearing makeup on a daily basis I started having acne. It was September when the first pimple appeared I remember that because its my birthday on that month. I’m still not sure whether my acne happened because of my makeup addiction, it’s a possibility but I wouldn’t give up on it, and the more pimples appeared the more makeup I had to use in order to cover them. Now the reason I stopped wearing makeup was as a favor to my boyfriend. He couldn’t even touch my face without getting makeup all over him and he was like I had enough! So when we weren’t going to be in public I wasn’t wearing any makeup and I got used to it and starting making public appearances here and there without any makeup on and started wearing makeup only when I was about to go for a night out, or for coffee with friends and stuff.

Now that its almost been a year without wearing makeup daily I can say that it takes me so much more time to do my makeup than it used to and that’s pretty much it. Just kidding, I have a dark sense of humor. The changes I’ve seen on my face are pretty cool. My acne got reduced a lot, some fine lines here and there on my forehead and on the smile lines disappeared and my eyelashes grew back to their natural length. Now that last difference was something I didn’t realize it happened to me. I used to have long and thick eyelashes but I didn’t realize that it wasn’t like this anymore. The only difference I noticed was that they became softer, they used to be hard. Until one day my boyfriend asked me what I did with my lashes, I was like whaaaaaa? And he told me that they’re longer and when a man notices a difference you know it’s big.

I’m glad that I did that. I love makeup and certainly I won’t cut it out my life entirely but I will totally keep it down. What about you guys? Have you ever went makeup free? If so, for how long? What’s the differences that you have noticed on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment